Saturday, August 13, 2011

Day 3 - August 10th - London

I was at the Comedy Store tonight watching the Comedy Store Players. I've loved improvised comedy since the days of Whose Line Is It Anyway. And if anyone remembers those days, the team I am watching features some Whose Line alumni - Josie Lawrence, Richard Vranch, Steve Frost, Neil Mullarkey and Lee Simpson, together with Ian Coppinger who I wasn't really aware of previously, but was damn good.

I used to have a schoolboy crush on Josie and she is still gorgeous and very funny as well as having a great voice. One of those people that just seems to have too much talent. As well as improv she is a dramatic actress too. She seemed to me to be having a great time of it.

The Comedy Store venue is one of those venues that is just as you might imagine it - dark, underground, intimate, everyone but me (including the performers) have a beer in hand. Not so long ago it was probably smoky too.

Neil Mullarkey teaches people to do improv and I believe he maintains that anyone can be taught to do it. He would know but it still looks an impossible feat. The subject that interests me more than any other is the creative process and I would love to hear him explain how he develops his ideas.

I am appalling at remembering punchlines and I can't now remember the best jokes of the night. But it was well worth it and it was lovely to see Steve and Josie in particular. I have only been once before to the Players and on that occasion the cast was Richard, Neil, Lee, Paul Merton, Tony Slattery and Phelim McDermott. That too was a very funny show.

Funnily enough, the riots didn't get a mention...

No comments:

Post a Comment