Sunday, August 21, 2011

Day 13 - August 20th London - Paris

When organising this trip, I asked to go to Paris on the Eurostar so I could experience the Channel tunnel. So I did experience it and it was interesting that the security to get into France was so low-key. But that apart, it wasn't especially interesting and the Tunnel itself was so short that I hadn't realised it was THE tunnel until we suddenly arrived in daylight in France.

It was a pleasant train trip and apart from one day, I have never been in France, so it's very exciting to finally arrive there. I am a bit nervous about being in a city where people don't speak English because I certainly do not speak French.

One aspect of the train trip that amused me is that announcements were in both languages with English first at the beginning, and French at the end. Funny because there was a plotline about the Tunnel on YES PRIME MINISTER which discussed this very point.

In Paris it's a beautiful sunny day and the cab whizes through the city to a hotel on a street named after George Pompidou. An early night as I'm off to the south of France tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment